Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID II) and the Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation (MiFIR)
If you are a firm with obligations under the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (2014/65/EU) (“MiFID II”) and the Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation (EU/600/2014) (“MiFIR”), the European Securities and Markets Authority (“ESMA”) now mandates the use of Legal Entity Identifiers (LEI).
From 3 January 2018 all legal entities involved in buying, selling or issuing financial instruments on EU regulated markets will be required to obtain and maintain a Legal Entity Identifier (LEI). It does not matter where the legal entity is incorporated, or geographically located, an LEI is required or there can be no legal trade.
The use of the LEI generates tangible benefits for businesses including simplified regulatory reporting; database management free of charges; more accurate calculation of counterparty exposures; improved risk management; and increased operational efficiencies.
Who will be impacted by LEI requirements?
- investment firms that execute transactions in financial instruments
- the clients (buyer, seller) on whose behalf the investment firm executes transactions, when the client is a legal entity
- the client of the firm on whose behalf the trading venue is reporting under MiFIR Article 26.5, when the client is a legal entity
- the person who makes the decision to acquire the financial instrument, when this person is a legal entity
- investment managers acting under a discretionary mandate on behalf of its underlying clients
- the firm transmitting the order
- the entity submitting a transaction report ie trading venue, ARM, investment firm
- the issuer of any financial instrument listed and/or traded on a trading venue
- investment firms reporting under MiFIR Article 26 need to collect and verify the LEI of clients, before any transaction
- a client who is a legal entity or structure, including a charity or trust, wanting an investment firm to act on its instructions
- an operator of a trading venue reporting under MiFIR Article 27 need to collect and verify the LEI of the issuer of the financial instrument admitted to trading or traded on its venue
- LEI of the issuer of the financial instruments is crucial for market surveillance; LEI code needed to determine which national supervisor is responsible for monitoring the market activity
- investor firms and operators of Trading venues must ensure their own LEIs are kept up to date
Obtaining a Legal Entity Identifier for MiFID II and MiFIR
RapidLEI is designed to make getting LEIs faster, simpler and more cost effectively. Our automated systems mean you can obtain or renew LEIs in minutes, and our LEI Identity Management Platform makes managing multiple LEIs effortless. Buy individual Legal Entity Identifiers on this page or at rapidlei.com, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to buy in bulk.
BUY LEIREGISTER NOW!
Buy Legal Entity Identifier – register a new LEI for your own organization or on behalf of your client.
As low as $86 p.a.
- Save up to 25% with multi-year
- Get your LEI in just minutes
- Simple application process
- LEI management portal
- Price includes annual GLEIF fee
- Contact us for volume discounts
TRANSFER EXISTING LEI
Transfer existing Legal Entity Identifier and get all the benefits of the RapidLEI platform! Free transfer then renew at renewal prices.
- Free Transfer of LEI Number
- Keep existing LEI Number
- Renew at Renewal Prices
- Contact us for bulk import